In Far North Queensland, we are blessed with a lush tropical climate. While the sun, sand and heat are great, most of us will seek refuge in the form of a cool, airconditioned home or workplace.
With the heat and humidity hanging around for most of the year our aircon units work hard, day and night, to keep us cool. So, just like you need a little TLC, so does your hard-working aircon unit.
While it may seem like a chore, ensuring your aircon is serviced regularly will help keep it working efficiently, meaning you can stay cool all year round.
What does an aircon service involve?
The most critical maintenance required for your ducted aircon is filter cleaning, which needs to be done at least four times a year to prevent the build-up of mould and dirt and keep your system running efficiently. Aside from filter cleaning, ducted aircon maintenance involves:
- Sanitising and removing mould, dirt and bacteria from all air con surfaces
- General maintenance of the vents, ducts and outside unit
- Checking the electrical wiring, duct connections, drainage and oil levels
- Temperature checks in all rooms
If you have a specific problem, your maintenance team will address this and look for a solution. Regular aircon servicing is the best way to detect any issues early and avoid costly repairs or inefficient energy consumption and prolong the life of your unit.
How often does ducted aircon need servicing?
As a rule of thumb, you should aim to have your aircon unit serviced every 12 months in homes and 3-6 months in commercial sites. Outside of this timeframe, if you find that your aircon has stopped running efficiently, or there is a mould or bacteria build-up or smell, then it is definitely worth calling in the professionals for a clean.
In between these visits, you should do regular checks of your aircon where you can look for the following:
- All vents are expelling air at the right temperature
- Filters are clean and clear
- The operation pad is working
- The outside system is not making any strange or loud noises
What happens if you don’t service a ducted aircon?
Failing to service your aircon can lead to:
- Blocked filters and poor air quality
- Bacteria and mould build-up, leading to pollution
- Rust and corrosion on fan blades and ducts
- Blocked drains and potential water leaks
- Higher energy bills due to inefficient running
If it’s been a while and you’re wondering, ‘does my ducted aircon need servicing?’, chances are the answer is yes.
Choosing air con cleaners you can trust
At Easy Cool Air, we have over eight years of experience installing and servicing ducted air con units across the Cairns region. This means we have a strong understanding of how a tropical climate can impact an air conditioning unit’s running and servicing needs.
If your aircon is due for service, or you have any questions about maintenance, contact the Easy Cool Air team today.